02 July 2007

Emyn Muil... Or....

Last Monday, our hosts in Shibukawa took us by RV to Kusatsu, a large Onsen and very famous Onsen resort in Gunma Ken, On Tuesday, we went from Kusatsu to Yugama crater then to see Mt. Asama, a Volcano which erupted fairly spectacularly in 1973, and thereafter for a number of years spewed ash and stone. However Asama was obscured by clouds and was not viewable. However the observation area several miles from the mountain was, and to my mind, being a rabid fan of J.R.R. Tolkien looked to my mind to somewhat resemble Tolkien's description of the Emyn Muil. This picture has been cropped to remove a fence and a walkway, but I have a number of others, and it is surely prime evil looking, isn't it?

Another thought which had come to mind about this scene; Monty Python and The Holy Grail, I expect Michael Palin or Graham Chapman to pop up and say "We Are The Knights Who Say ..... NI!"

Oh well, what can I say except to quote Gary Larson (Far Side) it was late, and I was tired. ;-)

No comments: